Last week, Ruth:
• Attended Kilwinning’s Christmas Lights Switch On and dropped by to say hi to the
North Ayrshire police officers on patrol
• Spoke in a Holyrood debate about the importance of flexible working practices to
both staff health and happiness and business productivity
• Helped to raise awareness of HIV Testing Week and encourage everyone to find out
their HIV status
• Visited the Prontoport Training Academy in Irvine to see trainees learning the
skills they need to work in the renewables industries.
• Took evidence from a range of people and organisations on parts of the Community
Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015 and on the Scottish Government’s Draft Budget
2017-18 as a member of the Local Government and Communities Committee.
• Took evidence from Sheffield Hallam University on their research into ‘The impact
on Scotland of the new welfare reforms’ as well as from a range of academics on
welfare reform and the devolution of some welfare powers to Scotland as a member
of the Social Security Committee.
• Contributed to a Holyrood debate about the Scottish Government’s plans for
eradicating fuel poverty