This week, Ruth has:
- Met with the Chief Executive of North Ayrshire Council, Elma Murray, to discuss The Ayrshire Growth Deal
- As a member of Holyrood’s Local Government and Communities committee, taken evidence on subordinate legislation relating to non-domestic rates, or business rates, from the Cabinet Secretary for Finance and the Constitution, Derek Mackay. The committee also took evidence from Kevin Stewart, Minister for Local Government and Housing, on the draft Climate Change Plan
- Met with Edinburgh’s homeless community at the Streetwork crisis centre to learn first-hand about the main issues facing people in housing crisis and what can be done to help
- As a member of Holyrood’s Social Security Committee, received a detailed briefing on the Child Poverty (Scotland) Bill
- Used the opportunity of a Ministerial Statement on Social Security to press the Government on its plans to use Universal Credit flexibilities to provide individual or split payments as opposed to household payments.
- Voted for a historic Scottish Budget that includes new investment in public services, as well as new measures to support businesses, jobs and economic growth.
- Got behind Purple Friday, the last Friday of LGBT History Month, to show her support for LGBT people and make a stand against homophobia
- Held MSP advice surgeries at Ardeer and Woodwynd Community Centres to listen to and help constituents
- Visited Auchenharvie Academy and taken part in a question and answer session with senior Modern Studies pupils