About The Role
Ruth Maguire MSP is looking for a Communications Officer to join her team
Hours: 35 hours
Location: Irvine, Edinburgh or Home working
Salary: £30,115 – £33,518 depending on skills and experience
Working for a Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP)
MSPs are employers in their own right. Under their employment, you will become part of a team supporting them in carrying out their duties. You’ll work in a dynamic and fast paced environment to provide an outstanding service for constituents.
- Producing materials that effectively convey my aims to the general public and media.
- Keeping up to date with current media developments.
- Building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders.
- Corresponding with constituents and local campaign groups.
- Producing high quality press briefings, speeches, presentations and written materials.
- Identifying potential media opportunities and acting as media contact.
- Organising and arranging interviews and press conferences as specified.
- Identifying forthcoming events, in turn promoting my work.
- Developing creative new engagement methods for social media accounts.
- Representing me in dealing with media and providing statements where appropriate.
- Following all media outlets to capture relevant developments as they happen
- Maintaining information systems to support communications
- Maintaining and growing social media presence
- Drafting and posting social media content to update constituents on my parliamentary activities
- Reviewing social media trends and briefing me in issues of relevance to my parliamentary role
- Have an interest in politics with the confidence to represent someone in a media-related capacity.
- Be capable in monitoring media developments and sourcing information from a range of channels.
- Have the ability to foster good working relationships with confidence to understand how the media world operates.
- Be creative in designing and communicating over a range of formats on different media platforms.
- Have flexibility using relevant IT skills and writing styles, covering both traditional and newer forms of media.
The Selection Process
Apply on the Scottish Parliament website here.
To apply, click on “send CV” and upload your CV and supporting statement as one document. When you’ve clicked “send CV” use the text box to provide wording for the cover email. Your supporting statement should outline how you meet the requirements detailed above for this role. Applications that do not include a supporting statement may not be considered.
Closing date: 5pm on Monday 3 October